PANIC: corrupted item pointer - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Janning Vygen
Subject PANIC: corrupted item pointer
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

I am running postgresql-9.1 from debian backport package
fsync=on
full_page_writes=off
I didn't had any power failures on this server.

Now I got this:

1. Logfile PANIC

postgres[27352]: [4-1] PANIC:  corrupted item pointer: offset = 21248,
size = 16
postgres[27352]: [4-2] STATEMENT:  insert into RankingEntry
(rankingentry_mitglied_name, rankingentry_spieltagspunkte,
rankingentry_gesamtpunkte, rankingentry_spieltagssiege,
rankingentry_spieltagssieger, tippspieltag_id, mitglied_id) values ($1,
$2, $3, $4, $5, $6, $7)
postgres[26286]: [2-1] LOG:  server process (PID 27352) was terminated
by signal 6: Aborted
postgres[26286]: [3-1] LOG:  terminating any other active server processes

2. All my database connections are closed after this log entry

3. My Application is throwing lots of java.io.EOFException because of this.

Sometimes i get exactly the same behaviour but without no.1. So there is
no PANIC logged but all connections are closed suddenly with an EOFException

I searched the archive and found
<http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-06/msg01268.php>

So I first reindexed all indexes on table "rankingentry" concurrently
and replaced the old ones. No errors.

Then I run "VACUUM rankingentry" and i got:
kicktipp=# VACUUM rankingentry ;
WARNING: relation "rankingentry" page 424147 is uninitialized --- fixing
WARNING: relation "rankingentry" page 424154 is uninitialized --- fixing
WARNING: relation "rankingentry" page 424155 is uninitialized --- fixing
WARNING: relation "rankingentry" page 424166 is uninitialized --- fixing
WARNING: relation "rankingentry" page 424167 is uninitialized --- fixing
WARNING: relation "rankingentry" page 424180 is uninitialized --- fixing
VACUUM
Time: 138736.347 ms

Now I restarted my process which issued the insert statement which
caused the server panic. Everything runs fine now.

I am worried because i never had any error like this with postgresql. I
just switched to 9.1 and started to have a hot standby server (WAL
shipping). Does this error has any relation to this?

Should I check or exchange my hardware? Is it a hardware problem?

Should I still worry about it?

regards
Janning

--