Re: Large Databases redux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Large Databases redux
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/21/12 2:18 PM, Jason Herr wrote:
> I have my own theories based on what I've read and my puttering.  I
> think I can get away with a disk for the OS, disk for the WAL, disk
> for the large table (tablespaces) and a disk for the rest.  And when I
> say disk I mean storage device.  I'm thinking RAID1 15k disks for each
> set but the databases and then raid 10 or VERY large disks.

I think you're better off just making one big raid10 out of all the
disks and putting everything on it, maybe in different file systems to
seperate out file fragmentation.   this way the IO workload is evenly
distributed across all the disks.