Re: Faster compression, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Faster compression, again
Date
Re: Faster compression, again  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers

On 03/14/2012 04:10 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> there are plenty of on gpl lz based libraries out there (for example:
> http://www.fastlz.org/) and always have been.  they are all much
> faster than zlib.  the main issue is patents...you have to be careful
> even though all the lz77/78 patents seem to have expired or apply to
> specifics not relevant to general use.

We're not going to include GPL code in the backend. We have enough
trouble with readline and that's only for psql. SO the fact that there
are GPL libraries can't help us, whether there are patent issues or not.

cheers

andrew