Re: Upgrade questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Upgrade questions
Date
List pgsql-general
On 03/14/12 12:24 AM, John R Pierce wrote:

> thats my definition of a middle of the road database server.  I have
> no idea what yours is.

let me add...  this server was under $7000 plus the disk drives (it
actually has 25 drives, 20 are in the raid10 used for the database
testing).    we built this specifically to compare against 'big iron'
RISC unix servers like IBM Power7 and Sun^W Oracle Sparc stuffs with SAN
storage, which frequently end up deep into the 6 digit price range.
as a 2-socket Intel 2U server goes, its fairly high end, but there's 4
socket and larger systems out there, as well as the monster RISC stuff
where 64 or 128 CPU cores is not unheard of, and 100s of GB of ram.

  * HP DL180G6
  * dual Xeon X5660 6c 2.8Ghz
  * 48GB ECC ram
  * p411i 1GB flash-backed RAID card
  * 25 bay 2.5" SAS2 backplane (this is an option on this server
    chassis, and means no DVD/CD)