Re: Planet posting policy - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Planet posting policy
Date
List pgsql-www
On 02/01/2012 10:22 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> The reasonable tihng would be to announce the poll on *planet*. That
> would make it reach exactly the people we want, which is, those who
> read planet.

I would agree this would be a reasonable sample but I would not agree
that it is as reasonable as it could be (how to solve it, I don't know).

>> The question to me really boils down to, do we want to relax the rules in an
>> order to increase readership and the value (intellectual) of the content.
>
> No, it also boils down to if relaxing the rule *does* increase
> readership (probably, but *far* from certain) and the value (much more
> in debate, I'd say) of planet.

I am not sure how much debate there really is except from a puritanical
sense that doesn't really add to the value of the content. It is
directly appropriate to read about vPostgres and all its goodness on
planet (same as Advanced server, IMO).

>> As long as the rules are as they are, we are limiting the advocacy power of
>> Planet. Maybe that is what we want, maybe not but as Dave has said, most are
>
> Is it *for* advocacy, or is it for getting "actual information" for
> people who are already users? That's a separate question.

Good point.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579