Re: Postgress is taking lot of CPU on our embedded hardware. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Postgress is taking lot of CPU on our embedded hardware.
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 27.01.2012 15:34, Jayashankar K B wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are having an embedded system with a freescale m68k architecture based micro-controller, 256MB RAM running a
customizedversion of Slackware 12 linux.
> It's a relatively modest Hardware.

Fascinating!

> We have installed postgres 9.1 as our database engine. While testing, we found that the Postgres operations take more
than70% of CPU and the average also stays above 40%.
> This is suffocating the various other processes running on the system. Couple of them are very critical ones.
> The testing involves inserting bulk number of records (approx. 10000 records having between 10 and 20 columns).
> Please let us know how we can reduce CPU usage for the postgres.

The first step would be to figure out where all the time is spent. Are
there unnecessary indexes you could remove? Are you using INSERT
statements or COPY? Sending the data in binary format instead of text
might shave some cycles.

If you can run something like oprofile on the system, that would be
helpful to pinpoint the expensive part.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas