Re: HA options - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: HA options
Date
Re: HA options  (Tim Uckun <timuckun@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 1/16/2012 4:09 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 01/16/12 2:04 PM, Tim Uckun wrote:
>> I realize that. Eventually we might have to go to physical machines
>> but for now we are using virtual servers and I have to make it work
>> within that structure.
>
> quite the catch-22. a single well built dedicated server likely would be
> MORE reliable than a cluster of two virtual servers, and a lot less
> complicated. C'est la vie.

I wonder.  If its a write heavy database, I totally agree with you.  But
if its mostly read-only, and mostly fits in ram, then a pgpool of
servers should be faster.

Be nice to know the usage patterns of this database. (and size).

-Andy