Re: BUG #6397: I am getting error on CIFS with fsync parameter on - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: BUG #6397: I am getting error on CIFS with fsync parameter on
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 01/13/12 3:31 AM, bhatia_80@yahoo.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      6397
> Logged by:          Sumit Bhatia
> Email address:      bhatia_80@yahoo.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.0.4
> Operating system:   Cent OS
>
> I am getting error while creating database with fsync parameter "on" with
> CIFS. But I tried same thing with postgresql version 8.2.2 and it worked.
> Please let me know if something has to be fixed in 9.0.4 and what is the
> reason I didn't get the same error with 8.2.2 postgresql version.

AFAIK, CIFS is not supported as a backing file store, in particular,
there's no guarantee that writes will be done in a valid order or even
that random writes will work correctly.   the fact that it seemed to
work in a much older version was purely happenstance.