Re: Setting -Werror in CFLAGS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Setting -Werror in CFLAGS
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On 04.01.2012 20:44, Robert Haas wrote:

>>> I see no point in -Werror whatsoever.  If you aren't examining the make
>>> output for warnings, you're not following proper development practice
>>> IMO.
>>
>> I find -Werror to be a convenient way to examine the output for
>> warnings.  Otherwise they scroll off the screen.  Yeah, I could save
>> the output to a file and grep it afterwards, but that seems less
>> convenient.  I'm clearly not the only one doing it this way, since
>> src/backend/parser/gram.o manually sticks in -Wno-error...
>
> I use "make -s".

Yeah, that's a good thing to do.

We are by far the most vigilant project I am aware of about fixing
warnings. That's a Good Thing (tm,). Build most FOSS software and you
see huge numbers of warnings fly by. It can get quite distressing.

We turn the errors off for gram.o precisely because we can't control it,
since the included source file scan.c is generated by flex.

cheers

andrew