Re: Postgresql Replication Performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Aleksej Trofimov
Subject Re: Postgresql Replication Performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 12/29/2011 11:33 AM, sgupta wrote:
I am doing POC on Posgtresql replication. I am using latest version of
postgresql i.e. 9.1. There are multiple replication solutions avaliable in
the market (PGCluster, Pgpool-II, Slony-I). Postgresql also provide in-built
replication solutions (Streaming replication, Warm Standby and hot standby).
I am confused which solution is best for the financial application for which
I am doing POC. The application will write around 160 million records with
row size of 2.5 KB in database. My questions is for following scenarios
which replication solution will be suitable:

If I would require replication for backup purpose only
If I would require to scale the reads
If I would require High Avaliability and Consistency
Also It will be very helpful if you can share the perfomance or experience
with postgresql replication solutions.

Thanks

Which replication solution will be suitable depends on your needs and database architecture.
Starting with PGCluster, I can say only, that PGCluster last released in 2005 year, so you can not use it with Postgres 9.0 =)
Slony-I is a good solution if you want to have cascade replication from Slave to Slave or you want to replicate only several parts of your database (because Slony performs table level like replication)
PGPool-II is an advanced load balancer and pooling solution. Which also has replication support. Pgpool-II is query based replication utility, which performs queries on several database servers. If you are looking for performance and stability I do not recommend using PGPool as replication software.
Postgres Streaming replication is WAL based replication, so using this type of replication you will have absolutely identical database servers, what is best choice for HA and scaling reads. Also this choice is not practically affecting performance, because it is not adding any latency to database layer.

Also you could read about difference between Slony and Streaming replications here http://scanningpages.wordpress.com/2010/10/09/9-0-streaming-replication-vs-slony/

--
Best regards

Aleksej Trofimov