Re: Avoiding shutdown checkpoint at failover - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Avoiding shutdown checkpoint at failover
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/13/2011 12:13 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Simon Riggs<simon@2ndquadrant.com>  wrote:
>
>> When I say skip the shutdown checkpoint, I mean remove it from the
>> critical path of required actions at the end of recovery. We can still
>> have a normal checkpoint kicked off at that time, but that no longer
>> needs to be on the critical path.
>>
>> Any problems foreseen? If not, looks like a quick patch.
> Patch attached for discussion/review.

This one was missed for the November CF; submitted in time but not added
to the app until just now.  Given that Tom already voiced some specific
things to consider ("detailed review of all WAL replay activities") I
added it to the January one instead.  If anyone has been looking for
reason to study WAL replay, by all means knock yourself out before then.