Re: pg_dump of a v8.3.4 -> v9.0.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: pg_dump of a v8.3.4 -> v9.0.1
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/23/2011 08:50 AM, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
> I used pg_dump v 8.3.4, but I could rerun using v9.0.1.  I was thinking that pg_dump v9 would refuse to play right
withthe v8 DB.  Is that a false assumption?

Yes.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/app-pgdump.html

"Because pg_dump is used to transfer data to newer versions of
PostgreSQL, the output of pg_dump can be expected to load into
PostgreSQL server versions newer than pg_dump's version. pg_dump can
also dump from PostgreSQL servers older than its own version.
(Currently, servers back to version 7.0 are supported.) However, pg_dump
cannot dump from PostgreSQL servers newer than its own major version; it
will refuse to even try, rather than risk making an invalid dump. Also,
it is not guaranteed that pg_dump's output can be loaded into a server
of an older major version — not even if the dump was taken from a server
of that version. Loading a dump file into an older server may require
manual editing of the dump file to remove syntax not understood by the
older server. "

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com