Re: Seeking a market researcher - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Darren Duncan
Subject Re: Seeking a market researcher
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> I would like to have some formal research done on why various classes of
> user today choose to adopt databases other than PostgreSQL.  I've pinged
> some of my contacts in the Analyst field, but not turned up anyone I
> feel satisfied with.
>
> If anyone on this list has positive experience with market researchers,
> please put me in touch.

I can tell you one reason in my experience.  Apathy.  They don't consider
Postgres' many advantages over MySQL to be significant enough, and consider the
latter to be good enough.  They also don't see the importance of using some
features at all.  They treat the database more as just a store.  Even though
ostensibly the kind of data being stored is quite important. -- Darren Duncan