Re: SSL encryption makes bytea transfer slow - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: SSL encryption makes bytea transfer slow
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 04.11.2011 10:43, Albe Laurenz wrote:
> Marti Raudsepp wrote:
>>> Disabling OpenSSL compression in the source (which
>>> is possible since OpenSSL 1.0.0) does not give me any performance
>>> improvement.
>>
>> If it doesn't give you any performance improvement then you haven't
>> disabled compression. Modern CPUs can easily saturate 1 GbitE with
>> AES256-encrypted connections. Compression is usually the bottleneck,
>> at 20-30 MB/s.
>
> Hmm, my knowledge of OpenSSL is so little that it is well possible that
> I did it wrong. I have attached the small patch I used; can you see
> where I went wrong?

That only works with OpenSSL 1.0.0 - did you upgrade? I thought you were
using 0.9.7a earlier.

FWIW, it would be better to test "#ifdef SSL_OP_NO_COMPRESSION"
directly, rather than the version number.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas