Re: Intel 710 pgbench write latencies - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Yeb Havinga
Subject Re: Intel 710 pgbench write latencies
Date
Re: Intel 710 pgbench write latencies
List pgsql-performance
On 2011-11-02 15:26, Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 8:05 AM, Yeb Havinga<yebhavinga@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hello list,
>>
>> A OCZ Vertex 2 PRO and Intel 710 SSD, both 100GB, in a software raid 1
>> setup. I was pretty convinced this was the perfect solution to run
>> PostgreSQL on SSDs without a IO controller with BBU. No worries for strange
>> firmware bugs because of two different drives, good write endurance of the
>> 710. Access to the smart attributes. Complete control over the disks:
>> nothing hidden by a hardware raid IO layer.
>>
>> Then I did a pgbench test:
>> - bigger than RAM test (~30GB database with 24GB ram)
>> - and during that test I removed the Intel 710.
>> - during the test I removed the 710 and 10 minutes later inserted it again
>> and added it to the array.
>>
>> The pgbench transaction latency graph is here: http://imgur.com/JSdQd
>>
>> With only the OCZ, latencies are acceptable but with two drives, there are
>> latencies up to 3 seconds! (and 11 seconds at disk remove time) Is this due
>> to software raid, or is it the Intel 710? To figure that out I repeated the
>> test, but now removing the OCZ, latency graph at: http://imgur.com/DQa59
>> (The 12 seconds maximum was at disk remove time.)
>>
>> So the Intel 710 kind of sucks latency wise. Is it because it is also
>> heavily reading, and maybe WAL should not be put on it?
>>
>> I did another test, same as before but
>> * with 5GB database completely fitting in RAM (24GB)
>> * put WAL on a ramdisk
>> * started on the mirror
>> * during the test mdadm --fail on the Intel SSD
>>
>> Latency graph is at: http://imgur.com/dY0Rk
>>
>> So still: with Intel 710 participating in writes (beginning of graph), some
>> latencies are over 2 seconds, with only the OCZ, max write latencies are
>> near 300ms.
>>
>> I'm now contemplating not using the 710 at all. Why should I not buy two
>> 6Gbps SSDs without supercap (e.g. Intel 510 and OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS) with
>> a IO controller+BBU?
>>
>> Benefits: should be faster for all kinds of reads and writes.
>> Concerns: TRIM becomes impossible (which was already impossible with md
>> raid1, lvm / dm based mirroring could work) but is TRIM important for a
>> PostgreSQL io load, without e.g. routine TRUNCATES? Also the write endurance
>> of these drives is probably a lot less than previous setup.
> software RAID (mdadm) is currently blocking TRIM.  the only way to to
> get TRIM in a raid-ish environment is through LVM mirroring/striping
> or w/brtfs raid (which is not production ready afaik).
>
> Given that, if you do use software raid, it's not a good idea to
> partition the entire drive because the very first thing the raid
> driver does is write to the entire device.

If that is bad because of a decreased lifetime, I don't think these
number of writes are significant - in a few hours of pgbenching I the
GBs written are more than 10 times the GB sizes of the drives. Or do you
suggest this because then the disk firmware can operate assuming a
smaller idema capacity, thereby proloning the drive life? (i.e. the
Intel 710 200GB has 200GB idema capacity but 320GB raw flash).

> I would keep at least 20-30% of both drives unpartitioned to leave the
> controller room to wear level and as well as other stuff.  I'd try
> wiping the drives, reparititoing, and repeating your test.  I would
> also compare times through mdadm and directly to the device.

Good idea.

-- Yeb