Re: how to use explain analyze - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Julius Tuskenis
Subject Re: how to use explain analyze
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hello, Alan

On 2011.10.25 17:12, alan wrote:
> I'm new to postgres and was wondering how to use EXPLAIN ANALYZE ....
>
> Can I use the output from ANALYZE EXPLAIN to estimate or predict the
> actual time
> it would take for a given query to return?
Explain analyze executes the query, so you get the actual execution time
(not always accurate as some extra job must be done while executing the
query to compute the rows and loops).
> I ask because I'm writing a typical web app that allows the user to
> build and submit a query
Be carefull about that idea - especially if a user can write custom
queries like "delete from important_table"

--
Julius Tuskenis
Programavimo skyriaus vadovas