Re: Getting PostGIS 1.5.3 working with Postgresql90 (Macports) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Getting PostGIS 1.5.3 working with Postgresql90 (Macports)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/08/2011 10:35 AM, René Fournier wrote:

On 2011-10-07, at 7:58 PM, Scott Ribe wrote:

On Oct 7, 2011, at 7:39 PM, René Fournier wrote:

Plus, I find Macports makes it easy to automate a server build in one script. The problem as I see it isn't Macports but my unfamiliarity with Postgresql.

I think it's both ;-) I tried macports for a couple of things and gave up on it. It works for getting dependencies for certain things. Then one day it doesn't work because you're trying a combination that wasn't accounted for, and you now have no idea how all those things you previously installed are configured…

Sorry, I neglected to say, I have Postgresql running. The problem was the initial means of running it. Unlike the Macports documentation,

sudo /opt/local/etc/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.postgresql90-server/postgresql90-server.wrapper start

…did the trick. My current problem is figuring out how to get PostGIS integrated/working and/or the template_postgis thing working (since it appears I need that to create spatial databases).

template_postgis is just the "empty" database template PostGIS creates when it is first installed and configured. It's just like template1, but has the PostGIS support functions and schema already installed. It should be created as part of the regular install and configuration process for PostGIS, AFAIK.

I don't use PostGIS or MacOS, so I can't help much with that side...

--
Craig Ringer