Re: I/O error on data file, can't run backup - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: I/O error on data file, can't run backup
Date
List pgsql-general
On 10/06/2011 02:15 PM, Leif Biberg Kristensen wrote:

> Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 family
> Device Model:     ST31000340AS
> Serial Number:    9QJ1ZMHY
> Firmware Version: SD15

Oh, joy. I have some of those, and can confirm their data-eating powers.
Thankfully mine were in a backup server as part of a regularly verified
RAID array with ECC on the volumes, so I didn't lose any data, but it
was certainly frustrating.

The firmware updater is a right pain, because it only supports certain
SATA controllers and you have to boot into it. Grr.

smartctl is a *vital* tool; the more people know about it and how
awesome it is, the better.

--
Craig Ringer