Re: Suggestions for Intel 710 SSD test - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Suggestions for Intel 710 SSD test
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 10/01/2011 07:39 PM, David Boreham wrote:
> I've already tried bonnie++, sysbench and a simple WAL emulation
> test program I wrote more than 10 years ago.  The drive tests at
> around 160Mbyte/s on bulk data and 4k tps for commit rate writing
> small blocks.

That sounds about the same performance as the 320 drive I tested earlier
this year then.  You might try duplicating some of the benchmarks I ran
on that:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/4D9D1FC3.4020207@2ndQuadrant.com

Make sure to reference the capacity of the drive though.  The 320 units
do scale their performance based on that, presumably there's some of
that with the 710s as well.

I just released a new benchmarking wrapper to measure seek performance
of drives and graph the result, and that's giving me interesting results
when comparing the 320 vs. traditional disk arrays.  I've attached a
teaser output from it on a few different drive setups I've tested
recently.  (The 320 test there was seeking against a smaller data set
than the regular arrays, but its performance doesn't degrade much based
on that anyway)

The program is at https://github.com/gregs1104/seek-scaling but it's
still quite rough to use.

Attachment