Re: COLUMNAR postgreSQL ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: COLUMNAR postgreSQL ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/20/2011 03:48 PM, Juan Bru wrote:

Hi,

Is there any plan to develop a PostgreSQL Columnar release?

I’m a researcher in the scope of Health (computer scientist, DBA background), used to work very well with PostgrSQL. Recently I’m facing analysis on 100M record tables so a columnar database could be a better option, but I would like to stay using postgreSQL.

To what extent would your needs be satisfied by a covering index or index-oriented table?

That is: Are you doing deep data mining where you have LOTS of different columns you're interested in finding patterns in, or do you only have a few important columns you need to retrieve most of the time, plus a lot of less-used data?

--
Craig Ringer