Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Euler Taveira de Oliveira
Subject Re: unite recovery.conf and postgresql.conf
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 15-09-2011 23:54, Fujii Masao wrote:
> Use empty recovery.ready file to enter arhicve recovery. recovery.conf
> is not read automatically. All recovery parameters are expected to be
> specified in postgresql.conf. If you must specify them in recovery.conf,
> you need to add "include 'recovery.conf'" into postgresql.conf. But note
> that that recovery.conf will not be renamed to recovery.done at the
> end of recovery. This is what the patch I've posted does. This is
> simplest approach, but might confuse people who use the tools which
> depend on recovery.conf.

more or less +1. We don't need two config files.; just one: postgresql.conf.
Just turn all recovery.conf parameters to GUCs. As already said, the
recovery.conf settings are not different from archive settings, we just need a
way to trigger the recovery. And that trigger could be pulled by a GUC
(standby_mode) or a file (say recovery -> recovery.done). Also, recovery.done
could be filled with recovery information just for DBA record. standby_mode
does not create any file, it just trigger the recovery (as it will be used
mainly for replication purposes).

--    Euler Taveira de Oliveira - Timbira       http://www.timbira.com.br/   PostgreSQL: Consultoria, Desenvolvimento,
Suporte24x7 e Treinamento