Re: PostgreSQL Upgrade Procedure - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Crawford
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Upgrade Procedure
Date
List pgsql-general
On 09/09/2011 08:35 AM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
> I've had PG 9.0 installed and working fine however it's Friday and I'm
> running updates on the server&  see that 9.1 is available....

First!!! Although certain packages like Martin Pitt's PPA for Ubuntu
will show PostgreSQL 9.1 as available this is the current
release-candidate of PostgreSQL 9.1. PostgreSQL 9.1 final has not been
released. Do not install it on a critical production system.

What OS? The different package managers vary in how they deal with this.
I just went through some frustration on CentOS as the directions I was
reading actually applied to how the packages install on CentOS version
6, which can do parallel installs and not to CentOS 5x, which can not.

On my Ubuntu systems which have the PPA installed (and granted, I've
only spent a few minutes so far), it is showing 9.1 as an upgrade and
wants to automatically remove 9.0.

So to (sort of) answer your question. There is no single official method
of upgrading - it depends on how you want to upgrade (dump/restore,
in-place with pg_upgrade, etc.) and what OS and package you are using.

Cheers,
Steve