Re: Demoting master to slave without an rsync...is it safe? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Lai
Subject Re: Demoting master to slave without an rsync...is it safe?
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Redekop wrote:

>     I have two questions:
>     (1) Did you set recovery_target_timeline='latest' in both master
>     and slave?
>

> Yes....but it's in recovery.conf so it only really applies to
> whichever server is currently the slave...
>

>     (2) Did you make any changes after promote the slave to be master?
>

> Yes, some....however I'm not sure I've done enough changes to have the
> slave rotate+archive an xlog before bringing the old master back up as
> a slave....I would assume that wouldn't make a difference but it's
> something to test I guess....
Did you set trigger_file in recovery?  That is the required step to
switch slave to master.   I set my log rotate+archive to 15 minutes.
When I touch fail over file, it mostly like force it to rotate+archive.

--
Best regards,

Alex Lai
OMI SIPS DBA ADNET Systems , Inc.