Re: Fwd: Summaries on SSD usage? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: Fwd: Summaries on SSD usage?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 09/06/2011 08:45 AM, Stefan Keller wrote:

> Do you think my problem would now be solved with NVRAM PCI card?

That's a tough call. Part of the reason I'm doing the presentation is
because there are a lot of other high OLTP databases out there which
have (or will) reached critical mass where cache can't fulfill generic
database requests anymore.

As an example, we were around 11k database transactions per second on
250GB of data with 32GB of RAM. The first thing we tried was bumping it
up to 64GB, and that kinda worked. But what you'll find, is that an
autovacuum, or a nightly vacuum, will occasionally hit a large table and
flush all of that handy cached data down the tubes, and then your
database starts choking trying to keep up with the requests.

Even a large, well equipped RAID can only really offer 2500-ish TPS
before you start getting into the larger and more expensive SANs, so you
either have to pre-load your memory with dd or pgfincore, or if your
random access patterns actually exceed your RAM, you need a bigger disk
pool or tiered storage. And by tiered storage, I mean tablespaces, with
critical high-TPS tables located on a PCIe card or a pool of modern
(capacitor-backed, firmware GC) SSDs.

Your case looks more like you have just a couple big-ass queries/tables
that occasionally give you trouble. If optimizing the queries, index
tweaks, and other sundry tools can't help anymore, you may have to start
dragging ou the bigger guns. But if you can afford it, having some NVRam
storage around as a top-tier tablespace for critical-need data is
probably good practice these days.

They're expensive, though. Even the cheap ones start around $5k. Just
remember you're paying for the performance in this case, and not storage
capacity. Some vendors have demo hardware they'll let you use to
determine if it applies to your case, so you might want to contact
FusionIO, RAMSAN, Virident, or maybe OCZ.

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse | 141 W. Jackson Blvd. | Suite 800 | Chicago IL, 60604

See  http://www.peak6.com/email_disclaimer.php
for terms and conditions related to this email