Re: Rather large LA - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andy Colson
Subject Re: Rather large LA
Date
Re: Rather large LA
List pgsql-performance
On 09/05/2011 05:28 AM, Richard Shaw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a database server that's part of a web stack and is experiencing prolonged load average spikes of up to 400+
whenthe db is restarted and first accessed by the other parts of the stack and has generally poor performance on even
simpleselect queries.

Is the slowness new?  Or has it always been a bit slow?  Have you checked for bloat on your tables/indexes?

When you start up, does it peg a cpu or sit around doing IO?

Have you reviewed the server logs?

autovacuum                     | off

Why?  I assume that's a problem.

fsync                          | off

Seriously?

-Andy

> There are 30 DBs in total on the server coming in at 226GB.  The one that's used the most is 67GB and there are
another29 that come to 159GB.

> I'd really appreciate it if you could review my configurations below and make any suggestions that might help
alleviatethe performance issues.  I've been looking more into the shared buffers to the point of installing the contrib
moduleto check what they're doing, possibly installing more RAM as the most used db @ 67GB might appreciate it, or
movingthe most used DB onto another set of disks, possible SSD.

>   version                        | PostgreSQL 9.0.4 on x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.2
20080704(Red Hat 4.1.2-48), 64-bit