Re: pg_restore --no-post-data and --post-data-only - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pg_restore --no-post-data and --post-data-only
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 09/01/2011 09:40 PM, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>> It's off topic. But I think custom format would require a major mangling
>> to be able to handle a complete cluster. This isn't just a simple matter
>> of programming, IMNSHO.
> Oh, I meant just having it create separate custom format files for each
> database. As shell scripts all over the world have been doing for years,
> but it would be nice if it was simply built in.

I guess it could be done, although I'm not going to do it :-) I'm more
about making somewhat hard things easier than easy things slightly
easier :-) You'd have to invent some sort of way to name files, possibly
by supplying a template to the -f parameter which would fill in some
placeholder, say a %, with the name of the database. Of course, then
you'd have to make sure the database name didn't contain any forbidden
characters.

cheers

andrew