Re: Indexes on inheriting tables - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Toby Corkindale
Subject Re: Indexes on inheriting tables
Date
List pgsql-general
On 25/08/11 11:34, Shoaib Mir wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Toby Corkindale
> <toby.corkindale@strategicdata.com.au
> <mailto:toby.corkindale@strategicdata.com.au>> wrote:
>

>     Do I need to make sure I re-create every index on every child table
>     I create?
>     That would be.. annoying, at best.
>
>     Is there a way to enable inheritance of indexes too?
>

> You do not need an index on the master table so create indexes on child
> tables only. This way you are avoiding big index scans and only looking
> at the index on the data you are interested in (child table).

Ah, but I'd rather not maintain all those extra indexes!
Say I want to add a new index - now I'd need to go through and add it to
a hundred tables! I guess I can script it.. but it doesn't seem good.

It seems messy to inherit the columns but not the indexes or checks upon
them :(

Toby