Reports from SSD purgatory - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Reports from SSD purgatory
Date
Re: Reports from SSD purgatory
Re: Reports from SSD purgatory
List pgsql-performance
News update for anyone else who's trapped like me, waiting for a fix to
the Intel 320 SSD bug where they can truncate themselves to 8MB.  Over
the weekend Intel has announced a firmware fix for the problem is done,
and is due to ship "within the next two weeks":
http://communities.intel.com/thread/24121

On the larger SSD reliability front, Tom's Hardware surveyed heavy SSD
users they're friendly with who use Intel drives.  The most interesting
data came from Softlayer:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-reliability-failure-rate,2923-6.html

This supports two claims I made before based on my private data that
were controversial:

-Annualized SSD failure rates are not significantly lower than
traditional drives in the first couple of years.  Jury is still out on
whether they will spike upwards starting at 3 years as mechanical ones do.

-The most common source of dead drives is sudden, catastrophic
electronics failure.  These are not predicted by SMART, and have nothing
to do with hitting the drive's wear limits.