Re: Postgres 8.0 upgrade to 9.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ognjen Blagojevic
Subject Re: Postgres 8.0 upgrade to 9.0
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Atul,

On 1.8.2011 16:12, Atul Goel wrote:
> We are planning to upgrade a postgres 8.0 database to postgres 9.0
> (Actually already done in Dev). The application is J2EE application with
> Hibernate. My question are
>
> 1)Is there a list of things that needs to be taken care while
> upgrading(known issues).

In past two years, we migrated JavaEE and Java Spring applications from
Postgres 8.1 -> 8.3 -> 8.4 -> 9.0, only bigger issue was, as Scott
already mentioned, removal of explicit casts.

Please read:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/release-8-3.html,
especially section E.16.2.1.

Also note, that postgresql.conf parameters are sligtly changed, so you
shoud also pay attention there. For instance, max_fsm_pages is obsolete
since 8.4.

> 2)Do I need to upgrade JDBC driver when I upgrade to postgres9.0.

Absolutely. Using older driver on new Postgres DB could bring you
unexpected results (e.g. we got corrupted metadata, bytea colums were
encoded badly, and so on).

-Ognjen