Re: Check constraints on partition parents only? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Check constraints on partition parents only?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 07/27/2011 04:14 PM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
> On Jul 27, 2011, at 1:08 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Yeah.  If we're going to allow this then we should just have a concept
>> of a non-inherited constraint, full stop.  This might just be a matter
>> of removing the error thrown in ATAddCheckConstraint, but I'd be worried
>> about whether pg_dump will handle the case correctly, what happens when
>> a new child is added later, etc etc.
> Is this looking at the wrong problem? The reason I've wanted to get a parent check constraint not to fire in a child
isbecause I'm using the parent/child relationship for partioning. Will this be relevant if/when an independent
partitioningfeature is added that does not rely on table inheritance?

Yes, I have clients using inheritance for non-partitioning purposes, and
they would love to have this.

cheers

andrew