Re: announcements regarding tools - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: announcements regarding tools
Date
List pgsql-general
On 07/19/2011 09:00 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> We have the same problem with people posting to pgsql-jobs where they
> don't mention the location of the job.  I usually email the people
> privately about this.

Used to have.  pgsql-jobs is now moderated because the junk posts were
starting to outnumber the real ones.  I just ejected an off-topic J2EE
job posting earlier today that would have made it through until this
recent change.  Jobs that are too vague on details to be useful should
get similarly bounced back to the poster, to be reworked before they'll
be accepted.

It's impractical to do the same thing for something as complicated as
platform support, at least using negative reinforcement, on the more
controversial and popular announce list.  The list of rules at
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/NewsEventsApproval is already too big
for moderators to be expected to enforce them all correctly in every
case; adding more isn't likely to do anything useful.  The best I think
we could do here is update that page to encourage people to list this
information for their own benefit, and then have some regular announcers
lead by example, by including the sort of info Scott is asking for into
their messages.