Re: Alarm function in PL/pgSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Darren Duncan
Subject Re: Alarm function in PL/pgSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Jon Smark wrote:
>> I don't think this is really possible with postgres PLs generally.
>> Typically what you have to do is have a function that is called on an
>> interval that checks for alarms and runs them.
>
> Thanks for the prompt reply.  Just to clarify: you are saying that the
> function that is called with a given periodicity must be so from *outside*
> PG, ie, from the client application, right?  I mean, there is no way
> strictly internal to PG to have a function be called every given number
> of seconds?

You should lookup Postgres' LISTEN and NOTIFY feature, and see if that is useful
in doing what you want.  For example, if this is possible, have a
database-transaction-external task running which is LISTENing for your state
setting signal, and then it waits for an hour and then calls the function.  Your
first function would send the NOTIFY signal. -- Darren Duncan