cpu comparison - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From M. D.
Subject cpu comparison
Date
Re: cpu comparison
Re: cpu comparison
List pgsql-performance
I have 2 small servers, one a fairly new server with a x3450 (4-core
with HT) cpu running at 2.67GHz and an older E5335 (4-core) cpu running
at 2GHz.

I have been quite surprised how the E5335 compares very closely to the
x3450, but maybe I have tested it wrongly.

here's the CPUINFO:
processor       : 3
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 15
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5335  @ 2.00GHz
stepping        : 7
cpu MHz         : 1995.036
cache size      : 4096 KB
physical id     : 3
siblings        : 1
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 1
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 10
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu tsc msr pae cx8 apic mtrr cmov pat clflush acpi
mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht syscall nx lm constant_tsc pni vmx ssse3 cx16
lahf_lm
bogomips        : 4989.65
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
power management:
OS: CentOS 64bit
Postgres: 9.0.4 compiled

processor       : 7
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 30
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           X3450  @ 2.67GHz
stepping        : 5
cpu MHz         : 2660.099
cache size      : 8192 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 8
core id         : 3
cpu cores       : 4
apicid          : 7
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 11
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe nx
rdtscp lm constant_tsc ida nonstop_tsc pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est
tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm [8]
bogomips        : 5319.92
OS: CentOS 32bit
Postgres: 9.0.4 compiled

In my testing I have a 32bit CentOS on the x3450, but a 64bit CentOS on
the E5335.  Can this make such a bit difference or should the perform
fairly close to the same speed?  Both servers have 8GB of RAM, and the
database I tested with is only 3.7GB.

I'm a bit surprised as the x3450 has DDR3, while the E5335 has DDR2, and
of course because of the cycle speed difference alone I would think the
X3450 should beat the E5335.