Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Enable CHECK constraints to be declared NOT VALID - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Enable CHECK constraints to be declared NOT VALID
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 07/17/2011 08:36 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

>>> We do need a way to track this information.
>> +1 on everything Josh said.
>>
>> Does git allow for additional commit fields? That would allow for easy tracking without much additional burden on
committers.
> I mean, there's git notes, but that's not exactly what we're looking
> for here, and I don't see how it would easy the burden on committers
> anyway, and it doesn't solve the problem of not being able to change
> things after the fact.  I think this is a clear-cut case of needing
> some sort of web application to manage this.  I'd even be willing to
> help fill in the relevant info.  But I'm not going to write it
> myself...

My understanding of git notes is that they can be added after a commit
without changing the commit - indeed that's apparently a large part of
their raison d'être:
   A typical use of notes is to supplement a commit message without   changing the commit itself. Notes can be shown by
gitlog along with   the original commit message.

It is a pity that you can't define extra fields as is suggested above.

cheers

andrew