Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db

From: chris r.
Subject: Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

Tree view

Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (chris, )
 Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Greg Smith, )
  Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Robert Schnabel, )
   Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Scott Marlowe, )
  Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  ("chris r.", )
   Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Rob Wultsch, )
 Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (, )
 Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Scott Marlowe, )
  Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Josh Berkus, )
 Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db  (Terry Schmitt, )

Hi list,

Thanks a lot for your very helpful feedback!

> I've tested MD1000, MD1200, and MD1220 arrays before, and always gotten
> seriously good performance relative to the dollars spent
Great hint, but I'm afraid that's too expensive for us. But it's a great
way to scale over the years, I'll keep that in mind.

I had a look at other server vendors who offer 4U servers with slots for
16 disks for 4k in total (w/o disks), maybe that's an even
cheaper/better solution for us. If you had the choice between 16 x 2TB
SATA vs. a server with some SSDs for WAL/indexes and a SAN (with SATA
disk) for data, what would you choose performance-wise?

Again, thanks so much for your help.

Best,
Chris