Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From chris r.
Subject Re: Hardware advice for scalable warehouse db
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi list,

Thanks a lot for your very helpful feedback!

> I've tested MD1000, MD1200, and MD1220 arrays before, and always gotten
> seriously good performance relative to the dollars spent
Great hint, but I'm afraid that's too expensive for us. But it's a great
way to scale over the years, I'll keep that in mind.

I had a look at other server vendors who offer 4U servers with slots for
16 disks for 4k in total (w/o disks), maybe that's an even
cheaper/better solution for us. If you had the choice between 16 x 2TB
SATA vs. a server with some SSDs for WAL/indexes and a SAN (with SATA
disk) for data, what would you choose performance-wise?

Again, thanks so much for your help.

Best,
Chris