Re: Postgres bulkload without transaction logs - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Postgres bulkload without transaction logs
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 07/05/2011 10:42 AM, shouvik basu wrote:

> I am trying to perform a bulkload of 1 crore rows using copy of row
> width 1000, but the transaction logs keeps getting huge space, is
> there a easy way to do it and avoid the transaction logs

If you're using the built-in streaming replication or an archive_command
to replicate this data, you can't avoid the transaction logs; those are
how the data gets shipped to the other server.

If you CREATE or TRUNCATE the table you're loading data into as part of
a transaction that loads into that, in a single server setup this will
avoid creating the transaction log data.  For example:

BEGIN;
TRUNCATE TABLE t;
COPY t FROM ...
COMMIT;

That COPY will execute with minimal pg_xlog activity, because if the
server crashes in the middle it will just roll back the table truncation.

Another piece of software you may find useful for this case is
http://pgbulkload.projects.postgresql.org/

Comprehensive and Customized PostgreSQL Training Classes:
http://www.2ndquadrant.us/postgresql-training/