Re: out of memory error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoffrey Myers
Subject Re: out of memory error
Date
List pgsql-general
Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 3/07/2011 6:00 PM, Geoffrey Myers wrote:
>
>> out of memory for query result
>>
>> How is this possible?
>
> Resource limits?

Could this message be generated because of shared memory issues?

The odd thing is the error was generated by a user process, but there is
no reference to the error in the database log file.

> Do you have a ulimit in place that applies to postgresql? You can check
> by examining the resource limits of a running postgresql backend as
> shown in /proc/$PG_PID where $PG_PID is the process ID of the backend of
> interest.
>
> Check your work_mem in postgresql.conf, too.

work_mem is commented out on both machines, so I suspect that it is then
using the default value?  What would be the default value?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson