Re: is parallel union all possible over dblink? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: is parallel union all possible over dblink?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 06/29/2011 02:14 PM, Greg Spiegelberg wrote:

> Another alternative is to use GridSQL. I haven't used it myself but
> seen it in action on a large install with 4 backend databases. Pretty
> slick.

We actually demoed this as a proof of concept a while back. Even just
having two instances on the same machine resulted in linear improvements
in execution speed thanks to parallel query execution.

Setting it up is something of a PITA, though, and the metadata database
is completely arbitrary. You basically must use the GridSQL intermediate
layer if you ever want to see your data again. I wouldn't use it for
anything but a reporting database that can be reconstructed if necessary.

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse | 141 W. Jackson Blvd. | Suite 800 | Chicago IL, 60604

See  http://www.peak6.com/email_disclaimer.php
for terms and conditions related to this email