Re: data compression in protocol? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: data compression in protocol?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 22/06/11 16:38, Szymon Guz wrote:
> Hi,
> I've got a lot of databases, unfortunately applications need to get a
> lot of data (a lot of means too much).
> The whole request takes about 3s, while pure explain analyze only 250ms.
> The amount of downloaded data cannot be changed.

What client are you using?

For libpq, as others have noted you can use OpenSSL-level compression.

For JDBC I think you're out of luck, as AFAIK the Java SSL
implementation doesn't support wire compression.

See this prior discussion on the topic:

http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/Compression-on-SSL-links-td2261205.html

--
Craig Ringer