Having a equal (=) operator on GIN-indexable columns - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Joseph Krogh
Subject Having a equal (=) operator on GIN-indexable columns
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi!

I'm not sure how to write a good $subject for this , but here it goes;
I'd like to have a multi-column index on a varchar-field and a
tsvector-field. GIN only likes tsvector-fields so I'm wondering if it's
possible to create a tsvector from a text which doesn't breake the text
up in vectors, but uses the whole string as the vector instead?

Given the schema:

CREATE TABLE mytable(
id SERIAL PRIMAY KEY,
field VARCHAR NOT NULL,
tsvector_col tsvector NOT NULL
);

I'd like to form a query as follows:
SELECT id FROM mytable WHERE tsvector_col @@ to_tsquery('simple',
'andre:*') AND to_tsvector('simple', field) @@ to_tsquery('simple',
'full_text_search');

And I'd like it to be semantically equivalent of:
SELECT id FROM mytable WHERE tsvector_col LIKE 'andrea%' AND field =
'full_text_search';

But I see that 'full_text_search' is broken up (of course):
andreak=# select to_tsvector('simple', 'full_text_search');
         to_tsvector
 'full':1 'search':3 'text':2

Is it a way to achieve what I'm trying here?

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak@officenet.no>
Senior Software Developer / CTO