Re: "error with invalid page header" while vacuuming pgbench data - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: "error with invalid page header" while vacuuming pgbench data
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 05/23/2011 06:16 PM, John Rouillard wrote:
> OS: centos 5.5
> Filesystem: data - ext4 (note 4 not 3); 6.6T formatted
>              wal  - ext4; 1.5T formatted
> Raid: data - level 10, 8 disk wd2003; controller LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-4i
>        wal  - level 1,  2 disk wd2003; controller LSI MegaRAID SAS 9260-4i
>
> Could it be an ext4 issue? It seems that ext4 may still be at the
> bleeding edge for postgres use.

I would not trust ext4 on CentOS 5.5 at all.  ext4 support in 5.5 is
labeled by RedHat as being in "Technology Preview" state.  I believe
that if you had a real RedHat system instead of CentOS kernel, you'd
discover it's hard to even get it installed--you need to basically say
"yes, I know it's not for production, I want it anyway" to get preview
packages.  It's not really intended for production use.

What I'm hearing from people is that they run into the occasional ext4
bug with PostgreSQL, but the serious ones aren't happening very often
now, on systems running RHEL6 or Debian Squeeze.  Those kernels are way,
way ahead of the ext4 backport in RHEL5 based systems, and they're just
barely stable.