Re: No control over max.num. WAL files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rafael Martinez
Subject Re: No control over max.num. WAL files
Date
List pgsql-general

On 05/25/2011 02:55 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>> These are the relevant parameters we have changed in postgresql.conf:
>>
>>   archive_mode              | off
>>   checkpoint_segments       | 128
>>   default_statistics_target | 100
>>   maintenance_work_mem      | 512MB
>>   max_fsm_pages             | 800000
>>   max_fsm_relations         | 8000
>>   shared_buffers            | 10GB
>>   wal_buffers               | 512kB
>>   wal_sync_method           | fdatasync
>>   work_mem                  | 16MB
>

> Are you sure you don't also have WAL archiving enabled? That can easily
> lead to too many WAL segments being kept if the archiving process can't
> keep up or fails.

I am sure. I have double checked.

# grep archive_mode postgresql.conf
archive_mode = off

# SHOW archive_mode;
 archive_mode
- --------------
 off
(1 row)

> It'd really help if you could show part of your postgresql logs from the
> during restore.

This happens when restoring a 30GB database. It looks like it stops when
creating a GIN index on a 4217 MB table. See my first post for the
relevant information from the log file (No relevant information/errors
before this)

STATEMENT:  CREATE INDEX attachments_textsearch ON attachments USING gin
(textsearchable);

Where 'textsearchable' is a tsvector column. In the source database,
this index is 7989 MB.

regards,
- --
 Rafael Martinez Guerrero