Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date
List pgsql-www
Dave,

> Links will be available from the software catalog, which we can
> redirect to from pgfoundry.org. I don't think we have any
> responsibility to provide search rankings for projects beyond that.

We do have a duty not to make people think our accessory projects are
dead.  If a user follows the top 5 links for, for example, pgpool, and
that link is a 404, he's going to assume that the pgpool project is
gone.  Not that it's moved somewhere else.

The alternative to providing forwarding is to keep pgfoundry up for a
year after we start telling people to move off of it, but gradually lock
out activity on pgfoundry.  That way there would be a transition period
during which the new locations for projects could climb the search results.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.