Re: repost: unable to install PG - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: repost: unable to install PG
Date
List pgsql-general
On 22/05/2011 10:28 PM, Wei wrote:
> When I install the 9.0.x version on my Window Visita Laptop, I get the error. The "Windows Scripting Host" is up. So
itis not the topic of this article: http://1stopit.blogspot.com/2011/01/postgresql-83-and-84-fails-to-install.html

Tip for mailing list communication: Don't say "the error". Explain the
exact text of the error. You *did* do one of the other really important
things, which is to always link to any article or documentation when you
mention it so people know exactly what you are talking about.

The usual culprit in this situation is virus scanning software. Consider
disabling it for the installation.

By the way, my previous message to you was a brisk to the point of being
borderline rude. That wasn't fair; you've clearly done at least a bit of
reading, and just need to work on your communication skills. It's easy
for me as a lifetime English speaker who's been on mailing lists for a
long time to think things are easy and obvious when they are not and to
get frustrated - but that frustration isn't always reasonable when I
look at things from where you might be coming from.

Another random little tip: You will also discover that many people will
not see your message if you reply to an existing, unrelated thread
they're not interested in. This is true even if you change the subject
line, because many email programs "thread" messages using hidden
information on which message is a reply to which other message. Nobody
expects you to know that and it's not important, but it *is* helpful to
know, because it means that creating a blank new message to the mailing
list will be more likely to be read than a reply to an unrelated topic.
Weird, isn't it?

--
Craig Ringer