Re: What is the average salary for Postgresql DBA - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: What is the average salary for Postgresql DBA
Date
Re: What is the average salary for Postgresql DBA  (Vick Khera <vivek@khera.org>)
List pgsql-general
On 05/19/11 12:30 AM, Rob Wultsch wrote:
> On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:52 PM, AI Rumman<rummandba@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> If I get H1B visa as Postgresql DBA, then what may I expect to get as my
>> salary?
>> Does anyone have idea on this?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
> This topic never gets many replies. I will reply because I am not
> really part of the community.
>
> It depends massively on the company, where you live and your skill
> level.  For a normal area (not San Francisco, etc) I think the
> following is sane:
>
> Jr DBA: 50-75k (probably 3+ years of relevant experience, but not DBA
> experience)
> DBA: 60-90k (several years DBA experience)
> Sr DBA:80-120k (several years DBA experience plus extensive knowledge)
>
> Anyone feel like correcting me?

I suspect H1B ssalaries tend to be somewhat below these levels.

also, it really depends if DBA means purely administration and
operations, if so, I'd expect salaries to be somewhat lower than those
ranges, or whether it includes application design and development
management, whereupon they could be higher.    There really aren't that
many shops that need a full time pure database administrator, its far
more likely in the postgres world for the DBA hat to be worn by someone
who's primary job is general systems administrator.