Re: Why not install pgstattuple by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Why not install pgstattuple by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith wrote:
> Any packager who grabs the shared/postgresql/extension directory in
> 9.1, which I expect to be all of them, shouldn't need any changes to
> pick up this adjustment.  For example, pgstattuple installs these files:
>
> share/postgresql/extension/pgstattuple--1.0.sql
> share/postgresql/extension/pgstattuple--unpackaged--1.0.sql
> share/postgresql/extension/pgstattuple.control
>
> And these are the same locations they were already at.

...and the bit I missed here is that there's a fourth file here:

lib/postgresql/pgstattuple.so

If you look at a 9.1 spec file, such as
http://svn.pgrpms.org/browser/rpm/redhat/9.1/postgresql/EL-6/postgresql-9.1.spec
, you'll find:

%files contrib
%{pgbaseinstdir}/lib/pgstattuple.so

Which *does* require a packager change to relocate from the
postgresql-91-package to the main server one.  So the theory that a
change here might happen without pushing a repackaging suggestion toward
packagers is busted.  This does highlight that some packaging guidelines
would be needed here to completely this work.