Re: Why not install pgstattuple by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Why not install pgstattuple by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 05/06/2011 04:06 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> FWIW, I did move pg_config from -devel to the "main" (really client)
> postgresql package in Fedora, as of 9.0.  That will ensure it's present
> in either client or server installations.  Eventually that packaging
> will reach RHEL ...

We should make sure that the PGDG packages adopt that for 9.1 then, so
it starts catching on more.  Unless Devrim changed to catch up since I
last installed an RPM set, in that 9.0 it's still in the same place:

$ rpm -qf /usr/pgsql-9.0/bin/pg_config
postgresql90-devel-9.0.2-2PGDG.rhel5

While Peter's question about whether it's really all that useful is
reasonable, I'd at least like to get a better error message when you
don't have everything needed to compile extensions.  I think the
shortest path to that is making pg_config more likely to be installed,
then to check whether the file "pg_config --pgxs" references exists.
I'll see if I can turn that idea into an actual change to propose.