Re: My server is oddly very slow - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From adrien ducos
Subject Re: My server is oddly very slow
Date
List pgsql-admin
Kevin Grittner a écrit :
> adrien ducos <aducos@hbs-research.com> wrote:
>
>> Kevin Grittner a écrit :
>>

>>> What does this show?:
>>>
>>> free -m
>>>

>>              total     used     free   shared  buffers   cached
>> Mem:          3042     3000       41        0        4     2896
>> -/+ buffers/cache:       99     2942
>> Swap:         1983        1     1982
>>

> This was while the PostgreSQL server was running and showing
> shared_buffers = 512MB?  If so, there's something seriously wrong
> with your OS.
>

>>> The first line in vmstat (which is all you get if you run it
>>> without a number) is averages since the OS was booted.  That's
>>> not usually very helpful.  What does this show?:
>>>
>>> vmstat 1
>>>

>> same for vmstat 1 while runing the query
>>
>> vmstat 1
>> procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system--
>>  r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs
>>  0  0   1280  45752   4496 2963460    0    0   29    45    0    1
>>

> Those look like the sort of useless numbers you get on the *first*
> line of vmstat, even with a number.  What did a few of the *other*
> lines look like while the query was running?
>
> -Kevin
> .

They Look exactly the same as the first one, with cache changing form

2963460 to 2961000 so not much difference at all...

So what you say is what I thought, there is something wrong with the OS... we will try to put centos (the same OS as in
development)instead of redhat the OS installed by the internet provider and see how it goes. Thanks for your feedback.

Adrien

--

Logo_HBS_mail.jpg
   Adrien DUCOS