Re: DLL export with mingw-w64: currently a no-op - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: DLL export with mingw-w64: currently a no-op
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 05/03/2011 02:46 AM, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson wrote:
> Hi PostgreSQL Hackers,
>
> When compiling PG with mingw-w64 the PGDLLEXPORT macro is blank.
>
> Here is a patch that "fixes it for me."  If this is correct, I'd
> appreciate it will be applied to 9.0.x as well as HEAD.

AFAICT it's not broken and doesn't need fixing. We don't define this for
the 32 bit MinGW compiler, so why should it be necessary in the 64 bit case?

The buildfarm member pitta builds Postgres and runs a full test suite
with mingw-w64 quite happily without this.

Messing with this setting has broken things badly in the past, so I
think we'd need plenty of evidence that a) it's necessary and b) it's
safe to do so. So far we have neither.

cheers

andrew