Re: Xeon twice the performance of opteron - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Xeon twice the performance of opteron
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 03/17/2011 11:13 AM, Jeff wrote:
> three boxes:
>     A: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5345  @ 2.33GHz  (Runs query
> fastest)
>         4MB cache
>     B: Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2352 (2.1GHZ) (Main
> production box, currently, middle speed)
>         512k cache
>     C: Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2378 (2.4GHZ)
>         512k cache

It's possible that transfer speed between the CPU and memory are very
different between these systems when running a single-core operation.
Intel often has an advantage there; I don't have any figures on this
generation of processors to know for sure though.  If you can get some
idle time to run my stream-scaling tool from
https://github.com/gregs1104/stream-scaling that might give you some
insight.

> Now here's where some odd stuff starts piling up: explain analyze
> overhead on said queries:
> 20ms on A, 50ms on B and 85ms on C(!!)

I found an example in my book where EXPLAIN ANALYZE took a trivial
COUNT(*) query from 8ms to 70ms.  It's really not cheap for some sorts
of things.

> I know we're running an old kernel, I'm tempted to upgrade to see what
> will happen, but at the same time I'm afraid it'll upgrade to a kernel
> with a broken [insert major subsystem here] which has happened before.

Running a production server on Fedora Core is a scary operation pretty
much all the time.  That said, I wouldn't consider 2.6.27 to be an old
kernel--not when RHEL5 is still using 2.6.18.  The kernel version you
get for FC10 is probably quite behind on updates, though, relative to a
kernel.org one that has kept getting bug fixes.